Until all the facts are known and the dog bite claim is fully investigated it is difficult to say for certain whether a dog bite claim will succeed. There are however some indications which we would look at from the outset and which give us some pointers on whether or not a claim will succeed.
- Have you suffered an injury? - If no one was injured then there is no claim.
- Can we indentify the dog owner? - Without someone to claim against, it is very difficult to recover compensation. However, this might not prevent an application to the Criminal Injury Compensation Authority (CICA) if the dog attack can be classed as a criminal incident
- Has the dog attacked anyone before? - If we are able to show that the dog has a history of aggressive behaviour and that more could have been done by the owner to stop it attacking you then a claim is more likely to succeed.
- Is the dog on a "banned list"? - There are certain breeds of dog which are specifically mentioned in the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. If one of these dogs attacked you then the claim has a very good chance of succeeding.
- Is the dog owner insured? – An uninsured dog owner who doesn't have insurance which would cover them for your dog bite claim may not be worth pursuing. Without insurance they would have to personally pay compensation and legal fees and people simply don’t have that money. In such cases there might still be the possibility of making a CICA claim.
Is the dog owner insured? - An uninsured dog owner who doesn't have insurance which would cover them for your dog bite claim may not be worth pursuing. Without insurance they would have to personally pay compensation and legal fees and most people simply don't have that sort of money. In such cases there might still be the possibility of making a CICA claim.
No Win No Fee
Funding a legal case can be a worry, which is why we have developed a range of funding options including our popular No Win - No Fee scheme.
Contact us in confidence for a FREE case assessment and details of funding options.
GET IN TOUCH WITH US TODAY
Free Dog Bite Helpline
Free Case Assessment
NO WIN NO FEE
Call 0808 139 1601
OR EMAIL US WITH BRIEF DETALS OF YOUR CASE